Providing emergency care in your home
Occasional & Emergency Service
Offering one-off, temporary or emergency support when you need it
Our team of registered nurses and nursing assistants help people with a spinal cord injury or other physical disability on an ad hoc or emergency basis. The service is based in Maroubra, New South Wales and is open to people who reside in certain perimeters within the Bayside and Randwick areas.
Please note: We have implemented additional precautions including checking the temperature of our staff at the start of each shift to monitor their health, provide our O&EC staff with additional PPE kits which include face masks, gloves and scrubs and we have increased the frequency of our general hygiene measures to ensure that we continue to operate in a safe way.
Services are provided in three set shifts 7 days a week, 365 days of the year including public holidays at a cost to registered clients.
Day Service: 11am–3pm
Staff will respond and assist in the event of:
- Episodes of Autonomic Dysreflexia
- Bladder and bowel accidents
- Administration of prescribed medications*
- Repositioning for comfort
- Assistance following a fall**
- Assistance with meals/drinks in the event of your usual staff being unavailable
- Other reasonable requests
Night Service: 9pm–12am
In addition to Day Service tasks staff will assist with:
- Catheter management (emergency or routine)
- Medical emergencies
- After Hours: 12am–5am
Staff will respond in the event of an emergency.
* Prescribed medication will ONLY be administered following the clear written instructions of your doctor.
** Staff will assist after a fall where safe to do so and will seek additional assistance if required.
Referral to the service can be initiated by a person with spinal cord injury or similar disability, family members, health workers, medical practitioners, or spinal clinicians. Please click here to download an application form.