Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness (P-CEP) is a comprehensive process that helps people with disabilities to create effective emergency plans tailored to their specific needs.
The project has been funded by the Queensland Government through the Queensland Disaster Resilience Fund (QDRF) and the Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors.
Led by the Centre for Disability Research and Policy at The University of Sydney, the project is a collaboration with the Queenslanders with Disability Network (QDN) and the Community Services Industry Alliance (CSIA).
P-CEP consists of three key components:
- Framework or capability wheel
The specially designed Capability Wheel below serves as a guide for self-assessment and personalized emergency preparedness planning in eight areas. Three principles ensure that people and their support needs are at the core of the planning:
- Emergency preparedness is an ongoing process, not a one-time event.
- People are the experts in their own lives, and planning starts with them.
- Person-centred planning conversations enhance the capabilities of multiple stakeholders toward Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction (DIDRR).
In addition, the following four steps bring together emergency personnel, people with disabilities, and the services that support them to facilitate effective risk communication and preparedness actions:
- Identify your strengths and support needs in everyday life.
- Understand your level of emergency preparedness and learn about your disaster risk.
- Develop a plan for managing your support needs during an emergency.
- Communicate the plan with your support network and collaborate to address any gaps.
To support the smooth implementation of the process, a well-designed workbook on Person-centred Emergency Preparedness (P-CEP) has been made available. This workbook assists people with disabilities and support workers in working together to create personalized emergency plans.
For more information about the project, please visit the project webpage or download the workbook in PDF or Word format.
Our friendly team members are here to help and guide you, answering any questions that you might have.