Working out at home

Supporting your online community

Welcome to our forum

Forum Exercise, Rehabilitation & Fitness Working out at home

Working out at home

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  221B Baker Street 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Does anyone have any advice for effective workouts at home if you don’t have a home gym? Open to suggestions for exercises (in/out of chair) or any good exercise videos!

I’ve been doing the same stuff with resistance bands and just want something different.

nath91
    Participant

Hey 221B Baker Street,

I find that doing simple air punches helps and I have some leg function, so I try to do leg extensions as best I can. I also do some stretches where I put my one arm over my head and touch the opposite ear and then rotate.

My physio also advised that wheeling around can help improve my cardiovascular fitness, so I do 500 laps in my corridor (I’m a little extreme, I’m pretty sure 50 would be fine!)

Jason
    Participant

Hi All,

Some good exercises whilst cooped up at home with limited equipment and depending on your level of function may include:

Shoulder blade extensions with one arm over your head and the other arm pulling downwards with your hands clasped to each other.

Crunches laying on your back on the bed and using your abs to do a half sit up.

Pec stretches in a door way against the door jam with your elbow at right angles and stretching the pec muscle.

Ankle stretches sitting in bed with a towel around your feet and stretching out the calf muscle.

Prone lying in bed on your front and then on your back stretching out the muscles which are usually at rest sitting in a wheelchair.

These may not suit everyone due to your level of function but these are what I,m supposed to do with my level at T12, however you just need to be creative and adaptable to your condition.

Another you may try is anything around the house that is weighted and can be substituted as dumb bells for bicep and tricep exercises.

BenLeaudais
    Participant

I use weight adjustable dumbbells and do some upper body stuff (bent over seated rows, reverse flys, shoulder press, side raises, bicep curl, tricep kickbacks etc) Then I go on my weight adjustable cable door gym (lat pulldown, tricep press down, front raises, chest press etc)

I use my hand cycle and do seated rows with resistance bands for sets of 8-12mins at a time if I’m doing more of a cardio based workout

And also doing pushups/stretching on your bed before you get up for the day is a good way to get exercise in

I got all my equipment from eBay for fairly cheap and delivered to my door

Hey guys,

How good is YouTube? Recently came across a series of videos by Ben Clark from Adapt To Perform who does a series of workouts for beginners that you may be interested in:

HIIT workout for beginners without equipment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pXuwJZe27U

Wheelchair Yoga beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJ9pGxJKGc

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.