Peristeen by Coloplast

Supporting your online community

Welcome to our forum

Forum Bladder and Bowel Management Peristeen by Coloplast

Peristeen by Coloplast

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jason 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Matina
    Participant

Hello! I’m 50, mother of 61 (after injury) and C4 incomplete quad from a car accident in 1998 when I was 28. My bowels seem to be slowing down and as a consequence agreed to trial Peristeen bowel irrigation. I’m only on Day 10 and so far not a fan and hasn’t as yet simplified my morning routine. I know it’s early days but I’m wondering if anyone else has tried it or is using it. I’d love to hear from you or if anyone wants to know more about my experience feel free to ask.

Matina ?

Jason
    Participant

Hi,

I,m also new to using the Peristeen system. I,ve been using it since around Christmas time of last year.

I,ve found it to be quite successful but with a few issues along the way.

I,m 50 years old later this year and T12 complete with partial preservation between L1-L3 from a MVA in 2001.

It did take me around a month for my bowels to settle into a new routine and now after about 3 month I,ve changed to a 2nd daily routine and things have improved.

Some issues I had were not sitting for long enough and having some leakage and continuing movements so I,m making sure I still spend at least 20 mins over the toilet and use a footstool for a better posture.

I don,t use a commode at the moment as my bathroom isn,t big enough and I have fairly good transfers and core strength (in between housing options since moving area).

Also, a good diet high in fibre with at least 2 pieces of fruit and 1 and half litres of water per day is important.

I would assume you have a bowel care nurse or Coloplast employee assisting you in these early stages too.

At first I wasn,t using enough water to irrigate. I was using around 450 ml but increased that to around 650 mls which seemed to help too.

If you have any other direct questions or need some help with a continence nurse or someone with a trained expertise in the Peristeen system please feel free to contact me.

I work as a Peer and Family Support Coordinator for SCIA and my email is jwright@scia.org.au or reply to this thread.

Hope things improve for you soon!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.