Our peer support team promotes independence and social participation
Do you, or one of your clients, have questions that only a person with lived experience of spinal cord injury can answer?
Would you like assistance with independent living skills or participating in community events?
Spinal Cord Injuries Australia's Peer Support service can provide suitably matched personnel to provide information, education and support following spinal cord injury.
The primary aims of peer support are to:
- Promote independence
- Demonstrate tools and equipment that will assist with independence
- Provide information and answer any questions that a client may have
- Accompany clients in the community
- Run education sessions at the spinal units
- Share invaluable life experiences
- Advise/recommend, through personal experience, methods to assist with activities of daily living
We focus our support in two major directions:
- providing support following a spinal cord injury to both the client and their family through the rehabilitation process; and
- providing ongoing support once a person with a spinal cord injury returns home.
An established peer mentoring service for people who have sustained a spinal cord injury is currently operational at Prince of Wales Hospital, Royal North Shore Hospital and Royal Rehab. Trained Education Officers visit the units weekly providing information, discussing and demonstrating independence solutions, conducting patient education sessions and providing community access assistance.
A community based support service is available to assist with the hospital to home transition. This service is available until the confidence and skills to live as meaningful and independent a life as possible have been achieved. Similarly, those with an established SCI can request the service at any time. Education Officers are available to meet with clients in their own home or a mutually agreeable venue and can accompany clients to first-time visits at sporting, recreational or other venues.
Assistance is also available through SCIA's regional networks (Central West, South Coast, Northern Rivers, Canberra and New England).
Shop 27, The Plaza
Alstonville NSW 2477
PO Box 4131
Ph: 02 6628 3409
Mob: 0421 055 992
20 Murray Street
Tamworth NSW 2340
Ph: 02 6766 6422
Mob: 0427 257 471
PO Box 1140
Mudgee NSW 2850
Ph: 02 6372 1892
Illawarra and South Coast Resource Centre
Suite B, Level 9, Crown Tower
Wollongong Central, 200 Crown Street
Wollongong NSW 2500
Ph: 02 4225 1366
Fax: 02 4225 1933
Give Us Feedback Was this article helpful?