Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attendant Care, Managing Carers
Kaz
post Sep 19 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

Hi everyone - I was just floundering! again & wondered if anyone has a similar problem. I have Carers for 34 hrs a week & I have trouble managing them & getting them to remember what needs doing - I get sick of asking everyday for things to be done. I write lists but we forget about them after a couple of weeks. I am really easy going (some think too easy) & the job is relatively easy as far as great equipment, nice environment not demanding, no nasty or complicated jobs.
Does anyone have some suggestions - what do you do with your carers? I am not a chatty person, & i need quiet times alone throughout the day when I become overwhelmed. But it is a great place to work (so I am told). I just need a few pointers on how to get what I need without upsetting anyone, my carers love coming here & they are great people the problem is communication on my part. I am not assertive & as I am also very sick I avoid anything stressful such as reiterating my requests. So when they have left I am always disappointed to find things not done, I have trouble maintaining concentration & focus so I easily get sidetracked & don't get to notice things until all is quiet & I am alone when I can concentrate again then it's too late & I must go without if I can't manage myself, until the next day & the whole cycle starts again!!!(quite comical really). Any suggestions to straighten me out???

--------------------
"If you think you are too small to make a difference - try sleeping in a room with one mosquito"....Dalai Lama

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sarge
post Sep 22 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 5

Hey Kaz,

Although I must confess I don't require carers myself, I am a great list writer! Have you considered getting a check list written and then laminated so that your carers can literally tick a box on each task when it has been completed? Initially you will probably need to write a list and keep adding to it until you are sure that everything you want to be undertaken by your carers is on it. Then finally type it up and leave a box to be ticked, laminate it and get your carers to tick of each item with a white board marker pen so that it can be wiped clean ready for the next use. you can have a daily tasks and weekly tasks section. I know this seems like a lot of hassle, but you only have to do it once and there can be no more misunderstandings, no need to be confrontational and more importantly no more disappointment or stress for you!

I have a check list for packing whenever I go away which is excellent, I now never forget any bowel or bladder management stuff or underpants & socks!

Hope this helps.

--------------------
SARGE

+Quote Post
Kaz
post Sep 25 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21

Thank you Sarge thisis an excellent suggestion - I will definitely give it a go.
QUOTE (Sarge @ Sep 22 2008, 10:33 AM) *
Hey Kaz,

Although I must confess I don't require carers myself, I am a great list writer! Have you considered getting a check list written and then laminated so that your carers can literally tick a box on each task when it has been completed? Initially you will probably need to write a list and keep adding to it until you are sure that everything you want to be undertaken by your carers is on it. Then finally type it up and leave a box to be ticked, laminate it and get your carers to tick of each item with a white board marker pen so that it can be wiped clean ready for the next use. you can have a daily tasks and weekly tasks section. I know this seems like a lot of hassle, but you only have to do it once and there can be no more misunderstandings, no need to be confrontational and more importantly no more disappointment or stress for you!

I have a check list for packing whenever I go away which is excellent, I now never forget any bowel or bladder management stuff or underpants & socks!

Hope this helps.

--------------------
"If you think you are too small to make a difference - try sleeping in a room with one mosquito"....Dalai Lama

+Quote Post
hipswinger
post May 26 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (Kaz @ Sep 25 2008, 01:09 AM) *
Thank you Sarge thisis an excellent suggestion - I will definitely give it a go.

is there any database of care agencies outside of NSW ??????

+Quote Post
Sarge
post May 28 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #5

Administrator

What state are you in? Let me know and I will try to find out for you.

Cheers

--------------------
SARGE

+Quote Post
hotfoot
post May 28 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 23

Hello Kaz, I can sympathise with this issue and your situation as I use personal care workers in the morning and evening but I also have other family members around the house who can let me (or the carers) know that something has not been cleaned up, filled up or replaced, or put in place as it should be, that are in locations within the house that I cannot get to, or do not get to until after the carer has left. I also have a list of things that need to be done for the morning and in the evenings. Before the carers live I ask them to look on the list to see if everything has been done. It can be infuriating when certain products some stocks have run out but nobody has told you. My experience is that the carers are constantly whingeing that the previous carer had not done something, but the carers doing the whingeing about other carers not undertaking specific tasks, also do not undertake the tasks and it is a vicious cycle of carers whingeing with comments like "why is it always left up to me", "who was here last night?"
regards, Hotfoot

+Quote Post
hipswinger
post May 30 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (Sarge @ May 28 2009, 02:14 PM) *
What state are you in? Let me know and I will try to find out for you.

Cheers

i'm in nsw but i want to know of other agencies interstate for if i go on holidays etc

+Quote Post
Sarge
post May 31 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Administrator

Okey Doke - I'll see what I can dig up for you, or at least find out where to look. smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------
SARGE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 11:36 AM